Q & As:
Q: Who/What is Em & Gracie?
A: Em & Gracie is the name of my business. I named it after my daughters Emily, 15 and Grace, 10. I also have a son named Brendan, 13. Em & Gracie is a fashion, lifestyle and wellness blog. If you are really new to this and don’t know what a blog is, a blog is a regularly updated website typically written by an individual that is written in an informal or conversational style. I mostly blog about fashion and a little about lifestyle like recent adventures, recipes and experiences. I intend to write about wellness topics too but after 20 plus years in the health and wellness industry I’m taking a brief hiatus from that.
Q: What is a fashion blogger?
A: A fashion blogger is something like an online personal stylist.
Q: What does a fashion blogger do?
A: Fashion bloggers appear to write a little, pose for photos in cool clothes, buy designer goods all the while sipping on lattes right? Wrong. Fashion blogging is much, much more than that!
I’ve only been doing this for 3 months but here are a few things I did to create Em & Gracie and what I do now on a regular basis.
- I created my own blog based on help from Word Press articles and You Tube “How To” videos.
- I researched companies like Shop Style which is the one I use the most to work with so I can get paid for blogging. More on how this works later in this blog.
- I established my business as a DBA under my existing business Buffalo Barre, Inc,
- I worked with a graphic designer to create my vision of a logo design, I established social media pages, decided what I wanted my brand to be about and who would be my target audience.
What I do Regularly:
- I sift through store websites and stay up to date on their sales to find you the best deals on good quality items from shoes to clothing, jewelry, bags, makeup and beauty products.
- I try my best to post products that are not already sold out. Sometimes I post them even if most sizes are sold out because often times they are restocked and if I see that I’ll let my audience know.
- I order and pay for the products directly from their websites. I don’t get anything free…yet!
- I make sure I approve of the quality and fit of what I’m promoting. I have sent many things back without posting.
- I let you know whether a product runs small or large and I’ll tell you to size up or down from your normal size.
- If the product is on sale and I see that, I’ll let you know.
- I put together all of the outfits myself. Top, bottom, shoes, bag, jewelry, accessories, even makeup.
- I refuse to post anything that looks wrinkled so I steam and iron.
- I model the items. I have a friend who photographs my “Looks” or outfits. Her name is Susan Lainoand she’s a doll. We have a lot of fun together and we’re both learning new things every day which is interesting as well. We meet every 3-4 weeks and for a few hours I pose, change and she photographs my looks. It sounds fun and it is…but it’s also very draining. We work hard. I even “carb up” the morning of because I know I’ll need the energy!
- I write my own blogs. Some bloggers do not believe it or not. I feel this defeats the whole purpose of getting people to know me and establishing an online rapport so I do my own writing. That being said, it’s not always perfect but it’s me.
- I try to keep the blogs brief and to the point. Although people are interested, people are also very busy. Some bloggers just post their photos are where to buy everything. I like that style too but my personal choice is to add how you can wear something, where you could wear it, what is nice about the product, etc. without getting too wordy.
- I upload all of my looks to Shop Style so you can find them all in one place. More on how to find and use this later in this blog.
- I publish the blogs via Word Press and if you’re subscribed to my blog, you’ll get the blog with my most recent writing, photographs, where to purchase, how much it costs immediately. I will not flood your email with blogs. I tend to blog 2x/week. This is really the best way to shop my looks and receive my information. You can subscribe here: subscribe to my blog. Wait a second and you’ll see a pop-up asking you to subscribe with your email address. Your email address will never be shared with anyone else. You can unsubscribe at any time.
- I upload all of my looks to all of my social media platforms…Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter,Linkedin. I have software that allows me to schedule my posts ahead of time which allows me freedom from being on social media daily aside from answering your questions and responding to your comments which I enjoy and try to do in a timely manner.
- I use my self-taught HTML skills. Much like blog and website designing (also self taught), learning how to code and knowing some basic HTML is necessary. It’s best to be able to fix, add and delete things from my blog by myself. This way, I avoid paying someone to do it for me.
- Brainstorming. I’m always thinking of what new content I can add to my blog.
- I research the latest trends and where to find them. I try to include products of all different price points and I offer multiple choices. For example if I’m wearing a pair of Loubatin shoes, I’ll post a similar style for a fraction of the price of the designer style…and vice versa.
Q: I get this question a lot. What are your measurements? I’d like to compare my sizing to yours.
A: I am 5’4″ , 110lbs. Waist 25″, Chest 34B. Now you are really getting to know me! For tops I’m usually XS or S, sometimes petite sizing, sometimes not since being 5’4″ is right on the border of petite v. regular sized. I hope that info. helps. You can always ask me what size I’m wearing.
Q: Do I have to purchase your whole outfit?
A: No. You can purchase as little as one item or as many as all of them!
Q: What does “affiliate link” mean?
A: Affiliate link is a term that is used to let you know that my ID # or username Em & Gracie is being used in the URL that will take you directly to the store where you can purchase something I blog about. In affiliate programs such as Shop Style, affiliate links are used to record the traffic that is sent to the store’s website. Affiliate links are not scams or viruses or any of those other scary internet things!
Q: Do you make money if I use your affiliate link?
Q: How do you get paid?
A: I get paid per click. If you click on one of my affiliate links, I get paid (we are talking cents here.) If you purchase something I post, this increases my conversion rate (clicks that turn into sales) and the amount I make per click increases. There’s a little more to it, but that’s the gist of it. So…please click, click, clickety click away and help me put my 3 children through college! 🙂
Q: Do you know who is clicking on your links and purchasing your things?
A: No, I don’t. I know the number of clicks which I check daily. I also know which items and the quantity of items that have been sold. That’s it. I do not get any personal information. None.
Q: What is your involvement as a fashion blogger? Do you work for these stores such as Nordstrom?
A: As a fashion blogger, I am also sometimes termed as an “influencer.” I am sharing my own personal thoughts with you. These thoughts do not reflect any store or company. They are my own feelings. I do not work for Nordstrom but I like shopping with them because they offer free shipping and returns. I am not asked by the stores to promote certain products or brands. I choose all of that myself. Essentially, I am my own boss and all thoughts and opinions are my own. Stores such as Nordstromwork with companies like Shop Style because the stores know there are people like me that can increase their sales by sharing their products via blogs and affiliate links to their websites.
Q: What if I buy something and I don’t like it or it doesn’t fit?
A: You can return it to the store you purchased it from based on their policies. I mostly use Nordstromwhich is free shipping and hassle-free returns.
A: You don’t have to subscribe to my blog but it’s really the best way to see my information. You’ll receive the blog with my most recent writing, photographs, where to purchase and how much it costs immediately upon being published. The way Facebook and Instagram are set up now, there is an algorithm being used that prevents you from seeing all of my posts in your news feed. Even my photographer doesn’t see them all in her feeds and she’s tagged in them! So, the best way to see everything is to subscribe to Em & Gracie! Again, I promise I won’t inundate you with emails.
Q: What is the BEST way to shop your looks?
A: As noted in the previous answer, because of the way social media works or shall we say doesn’t work, the best way to shop my looks is through my blog.
Q: How do I shop your looks on your blog without having to look through all of your blog posts?
A: When you are on the home page of my blog, you will see a menu. Click on menu and different options appear. Choose “Shop My Looks.” Here you will see all of my outfits from most recent posts to oldest. A photo of me in the outfit is there and everything I’m wearing is tagged. You can click on the item and you will be taken to the exact link on the site. Go ahead and try it! What I love about this is it also lets you know if I’ve marked something as the EXACT ITEM I’m wearing. This is your indication that I’m linking the EXACT item I’m wearing or linking something similar that is less expensive which I have many requests for.
Q: How do I shop your looks on Instagram? (Here is an exact question I was asked last night on Instagram… “I adore this look a lot and a lot of your posts but unfortunately I’m completely Instagram illiterate! Could you please tell me what to press to get to your links and blog? Thank you!”)
A: To get to my links, bio. and blog just press on my name emandgracie1 and it will take you to my whole Instagram page view. At the top of the page after my name, you’ll see a description (bio.) and a link. Follow that link and click on “Blog” to subscribe and shop or click on “Shop My Look.” You can purchase the items shown on Instagram that way!
Q: How do I shop your looks on Facebook?
A: Either follow my blog link if it’s posted (remember this is the BEST way to get all of the info.) or click on the affiliate links listed.
Q: Is this your full-time job?
A: No it isn’t. I also own a women’s boutique fitness studio called Buffalo Barre which I have owned and operated for almost 7 years. As part of that business, in addition to in-studio classes and events, I also offer online workout subscriptions and instructor training courses.
Q: How did you get started with this?
A: I was shopping through other fashion bloggers as I found it easy to see what the latest trends and sales were, etc. on their sites. I was already an online shopper so it wasn’t a big deal to me to purchase from them and support them as they put in all the work to show me what the latest and greatest items were. Then I started thinking…I bet I could do this too. It looks fun and easy (ha!) I told a friend in July 2017..I think I’m going to do this. A month later, my blog was up and running. I really didn’t wait to long to start. I figured I’d learn and grow along the way…which I have! Thank you ALL for your support and trust.
I hope this answered most of your questions and makes Em & Gracie easier to navigate! If you have any further questions, please ask me by sending me an email : email@example.com. I’d really LOVE to hear from you!